Sunday, May 23, 2010

Comfort Food: Chicken-Brown Rice Soup

I hate wasting food.
I always try to find creative ways to "recycle" food. Left-over roast chicken breasts always seem to haunt me. And I decided I need to take a stand and find a way to make something out of nothing.

Below is my version of Chicken-Brown Rice Soup. I did not have the vegetables while I prepared this dish and used only what was readily available in the pantry. The key ingredients: left-over chicken breast, brown rice, chicken soup stock and an onion is a good start. I figured I would buy the fresh vegetables, i.e., carrots, celery and leeks, later.

1 Left-over chicken breast (with a little chicken meat and breast bone)
2 cup Chicken soup stock (powder, one tsp = 1 cup stock)
Small Red onion, chopped
1/8 tsp thyme
1/4 cup brown rice

1. Place the soup stock in the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH
2. When the soup is clear, add the brown rice, onion and chicken.
3. Place the left-over chicken
4. Put a dash of thyme

Cook until ready.

You might also like to try THIS.

No comments: