
Thanksgiving is just about a few days from now and although I will not cook for Thanksgiving (for cultural reasons), there are many personal and family reasons to celebrate Thanksgiving.
After placing my catered order for 2 for the Turkey Day, I decided to make my own dessert. Not only is it less expensive but it will also make me commune with my kitchen. My dessert sans crust, is the basic filling for a cobbler, a deep dish dessert from the South. So, as they say over there: Get ready to slap yo' mama!
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped medium. (Listen, I am not particular with the apples whether they are Winesaps, Macouns or Jonah Golds. Just make sure they’re apples!)
1 t of nutmeg
1 t of cinnamon
1 T olive oil
½ cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup raisins
1. Mix all ingredients right in the slow cooker.
2. Cook on High for 2 – 2 ½ hours or until you achieve the consistency that you want. But remember: do not open the slow cooker top when cooking. 20% of the heat is lost every time you open the top. That’s why slow cookers have a glass top – so you can see what’s in it.
Note: Notice the absence of sugar? In trying to be healthy, I don't add sugar as much as possible. But check the "sides" for this dish below. Decadent!
"Sides" - Serve with ice cream, sweet cream or whipped cream.
Credit for the Southern expression: http://cherryhillcottage.typepad.com/cherryhill_cottage/2007/10/apple-walnut-co.html
Photo: http://www.zeek.net/610armon/
No comments:
Post a Comment