Saturday, November 7, 2009

Deanna's Simple and Healthy Arroz ala Cubana



I bought a 1/4 lb. of ground lean beef to add to my pasta sauce. But I changed my mind and decided to be more creative. Why not make Arroz ala Cubana? I remember this dish was one of the recipes taught to us in a Home Economics class in elementary school. That was all I remember about the Home Economics class. Long of it, I failed that class of course, opting to stay in the playground the whole afternoon (long story). The VERY long if it, I remember the taste and delicious odor but not the recipe. But here's a simple one I prepared sans web research which you can use as a base. Then, on your own, you can trawl the web for more involved recipes of Arroz ala Cubana.

Result: The level of involvement was more on the eating than the cooking. I added peas for that extra nutritive value. The requisite fried egg (fried in little butter) had no yolk, for health reasons.

1/4 lb ground beef
1 medium sized tomatoe, cubed
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 box of raisins (you must have them to achieve the balance of flavors)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients, blend well and cook in the slow cooker on High for 1 hour.

Serving suggestions:
1. Remove the yolk and fry the egg white for a more healthy option.
2. Serve seamed green peas instead of plantains

My habib and I love the arroz! Viva Cuba! Cuba Libre!

No comments: