In case you were wondering where I source the exotic-sounding spices in my recipes, wonder no more. I get my spices from the Carrefour Supermarket in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. While Dubai has most of the spices I need, Abu Dhabi has the hard-to-find Provence Herbs and Rosemary. Everytime I visit Dubai, I always take with me a laundry list of spices that are hard to find back home.
Lemon salt – typical in Turkey. It is superb when used in shellfish and seafood. No Sinigang mix in the cupboard? Use lemon salt and your meal will taste just like you used Sinigang mix. Add vegetables like a white onion and tomato. Check my previous recipe for proof.
Rosemary on baked salmon? It brings out the flavor of the fish.
Za’atar – typical in Jordan and Lebanon. Use this spice to flavor your fried egg. Its taste is so unique and the eggs have never been more tasty.
Dry mint – I use this as tea or as a rub for my pork loin.
Dry basil and oregano – A lovely addition to my pasta.
They also have herbs such as Karkade – typical in Egypt. They come from red hibiscus flowers and boiled to make tea. The tea, in a very red color, is used to lower blood pressure. Just put a lot of honey since the tea is tart (think cranberry juice. Tart but filled with nutrients). I bought a small bunch and will experiment with this. I can buy the boxed version ala Twinings but I will try and do it the old fashioned way.
Greek Bread Salad with Toasted Pita Chips ♥
5 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment