Saturday, January 14, 2012

Spicy Pork Belly on the Slow Cooker


I get carried away every time I am in the in the Provisions section of Whole Foods. I can't help it. I am an omnivore.

One weekend, I came across fresh pork belly. I just bought it, came home and stared at it for a long time. I don't have an oven, so the crispy skin everyone literally dies for is out of the question. I am not the kind who fries stuff in my kitchen due space and odor limitations I impose in my spartan kitchen. My options are limited. Actually, I only have one option - slow cook the pork belly.

My research on the web took me to...London, England. Jamie Oliver, a cook I know of but never really cared for (I just think British food is one of the best ways to lose weight - fast!), recommened a recipe for the slow cooker. But that meant me running back to an oven on the homestretch to finish the pork belly with the crispy exterior. Man, if I was going to do that schtick, I am better off ordering out. Thank you.

I was panicky. I don't know what to do. So, staying within England, I came across a recipe, which of course I modified. You can see the result in the photo. Habib loved it, I loved it and our cholesterol levels shot way up. Who cares? It's good!

Enough, here is the recipe:

1. Combine crush thyme, salt, fennel and coriander seeds and mix with with some olive oil to make a thick paste.
2. Score the skin (quite deeply) and rub in the paste. Make sure it is rubbed in deep to the scores and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
3. Place in the slow cooker, skin side up, add a glass of white wine or cider and cook on High for 4-5 hours. On Low for double the time. That is, if you have the time. Instead of wine, I used Grand Marnier. Another tip: replace cider with orange juice if you do not have cider.

Serve with white rice topped with scallions.
And credit for the inspiration goes to: http://www.cookbookinteractive.co.uk/
Thank you!

No comments: