Friday, September 30, 2011

Organic 7-Bean and Barley Soup


I came across the Bean Soup Mix in the Bulk Foods Section of Whole Foods. It is so good to have this specially when your life is "on the go" most times. I modified the recipe to suit what I have in the kitchen and the time because, well, I have no time!

Ingredients
1 cup dried multibean and pearl barley mix
4 cups water
1 (14-ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 medium carrots, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tablespoons salt, oregano, thyme and provence herbs for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, optional
1 T olive oil

Directions
Let beans soften by soaking overnight.
Put beans, water, tomatoes and their juices, garlic, carrots, onion, barley, bay leaf, 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, etc., and porcini mushrooms (if using) in a slow cooker; cover and cook on HIGH until the beans are quite tender and the soup is thick, about 4 hours.
Stir in the spinach, cheese, and vinegar, cover, and let the soup cook until the spinach wilts, about 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and drizzle with parmesan cheese.

Ref: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/slow-cooker-bean-and-barley-soup-recipe/index.html

No comments: